Coleshill Medieval Settlement
The medieval settlement at Coleshill based on the Ordnance Survey first edition 6" map of 1887.
1/2 Extent of medieval town was ascertained from the OS 1st Edition.
3 A small number of 14th – 15th century pottery sherds were recovered during an excavation at Ennersdale Road, north Coleshill (EWA6793). The area excavated is north of the area recorded as medieval settlement on the database.
4 An archaeological watching brief at 39 Parkfield Road revealed no evidence of medieval occupation; this area of land was thought to have been agricultural during the medieval period.
5 Market Charter Sundays, mercartum granted 26 August 1207 byJohn to Osbert de Clinton. To be held at Manor. John de Clinton claimed a market in 1284-5, the day of which was not specified. A market, the day of which was not recorded, was noted on 22 August 1401
Fair Charter vigil feast of Peter and Paul the Apostles (29th June) feria, was granted 26th April 1207 by King John to Osbert de Clinton. To be held at Manor. John de Clinton claimed a fair 1284-5, the feasst of which was not specified
6 Coleshill is listed in Domesday in Coleshill Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid ref of 1989.
Ref 1,5 King Edward held it. 3 hides. Land for. . . 30 villagers with a priest and 13 smallholders have 16 ploughs. 1 mill at 40d; 10 burgesses in Tamworth belong to this manor; woodland 3 leagues long and 2 1/2 leagues wide.
7 Archaeological observation of the excavation of foundation trenches to the rear of 96 & 98 High Street, Coleshill (EWA7446, centred on SP19978900), revealed no evidence of medieval activity despite the site occupying a medieval plot in the centre of town.
8 Borough before 1290. 1334 Subsidy £66.25. Market town c.1600. Market (Charter) Sun; mercatum, gr 26 Aug 1207, by K John to Osbert de Clinton. To be held at the manor. John de Clinton claimed a market in 12845, the day of which was not specified. A market, the day of which was not recorded, was noted on 22 Aug 1401. Fair (Charter) vf, Peter and Paul the Apostles (29 Jun); feria, gr 26 Apr 1207, by K John to Osbert de Clinton. To be held at the manor. John de Clinton claimed a fair in 12845, the feast of which was not specified.
9 It is likely that the linear plan form of the town was established soon after granting a royal charter for a weekly market to Osbert II de Clinton in 1207 (along with an annual fair on the eve and festival of St. Peter and St. Paul), with planned burgage plots along both sides of the High Street south of the present Birmingham Road. Earliest reference during the lordship of Thomas de Clinton between 1222 and 1259; a deed records a seignorial grant from Thomas de Clinton to Philip de Ambresley of a burgage, formerly held by William de Mertona, suggesting that Coleshill’s borough foundation seemed to have taken place before 1240, and perhaps before 1220.