Spernall Park, the site of a deer park dating from the Medieval to the Post Medieval period. Part of the park pale is visible as an earthwork. It is situated east of Shelfield.Recommended for inclusion on Local List by Lovie.
1 First recorded in 1258. The park was held with the manor of Spernall in 1328 and recurs in the manorial rolls of the C17, in 1640 being described as totally in want of repair. Various field names may indicate the site of the park in the NE sector of the parish. The remainder of the park is now managed by the Forestry Commission. Part of the park pale appears to be preserved on the W side where there is an enclosing ditch and an exterior bank. The latter is much abraded and only 1m wide. On the E side the internal ditch is present but not pronounced and the bank some 3 m across. A deep external ?modern ditch runs outside this and to the S of the wood. The present SE boundary is probably the result of an assart into the woodland.
2 Footpath follows probable line of pale. Part of former park now managed by Forestry Commission. Recommended for inclusion on Local List.
3 Remnant of park shown as woodland on OS 1:10560 1886 Sht Warks 37NW.
5 Illustrative map for 4.