Site of Roman Tile Kilns to S of Chase Wood
The site of a Roman pottery and tile kiln which was excavated in the 1920s. The remains have disappeared, but a scatter of debris survives. The location is 1.3km east of the church at Honiley.
1 Roman tiles have been found in or near Chase Woods. Specimens have been in Warwick Museum since 1858. A label attached to the latter states that the tiles seemed, so far as traced, to belong to two walls, each about 9.15 or 12.2m long, meeting at right angles.
2 1923: Whilst searching for a possible villa a mound was found in and around which were large quantities of tile. The mound is 45.7m from the stream and beside the hedge on the W of field No 314 (OS 25″ XXVI 9). Excavation revealed a Roman tile kiln, 5.4m by 3.1m. It lay E and W approximately with the open end to the E. Pottery was also found including 2nd century Samian and some white wares. Kiln consisted of a single central flue with a horizontal mortar floor and possible subsidiary flues. Portions of hollow flue tiles with various styles of comb marking were found, and also plain square tiles of various different sizes. Tegulae and imbrices common.
3 1951: The remains have disappeared, but there is still a considerable scatter of tile and wasters.
4 A tile stamped ‘NDVS’ and at least three distinct concentrations of wasters were found, suggesting three kilns. 1957: The tile kiln opened up in 1923 was re-excavated. The kiln is of an unusual type. Finds included pottery and various types of tile. The pottery indicates use of the kiln from 300-350 AD.
5 1964: Three further trenches produced evidence for ‘a layer of pebbles interspersed with tile’.