Shrunken settlement remains, Frankton
The remains of the shrunken village of Frankton are visible as earthworks. The shrunken village is of Medieval or Post Medieval date. It is situated at the south west edge of Frankton.
123 Aerial photographs clearly show the earthwork remains of shrunken village along the north side of Fishpools Road, Frankton, and in the field on the south west side of Fishpool Farm. Building platforms and plot boundaries are visible, as is the location of a green before the church. The earthworks appear to extend south west of the major modern field boundary, at least on the north side of the road (the southern side of the road being dominated by the fishponds, WA 3168). The field behind (south east of) Fishpool Farm, whilst containing largely ridge and furrow earthworks, also displays signs of boundary ditches possibly of a different period.
4 The 1886 OS map shows two buildings at apx SP4269, at the south eastern extremity of the earthworks showing on the APs. This site had been cleared by the time the APs were taken.