Site of Newnham Paddox Mansion

Description of this historic site

Duplicate of PRN4235

Notes about this historic site

1 Newnham Paddox, the seat of the Earls of Denbigh, was so much altered about 1875 that architecturally it can only be called a fine modern house.
2 Now demolished. An 18th century wrought iron gateway survives (PRN 4237). This formed a principal approach to the now demolished house.
3 A new house now stands on the site.
4 The Fielding family in the late 16th or 17th century built or rebuilt the house. It was demolished in 1952 leaving the gates in isolation.
5 The mansion was pulled down in 1952. Only the grand gates remain, of cast and wrought iron. The gatepiers are of iron and there are five gates. The style is of the 18th century and does not seem to be English. Suggestions have been that they are perhaps Spanish or by the Davies Brothers.

More from Monks Kirby