Site of Medieval House and Well 200m S of Moor Hall, Bidford on Avon
The site of a house and well dating from the Medieval/Post Medieval period. Building material and pottery have been found at the site, which is situated a 100m north of Broom.
1 Remains of early masonry and a well found in 1908 while digging for gravel. Roughly-faced wall of coursed oolite slabs 1m long, 0.3m high and 0.4m deep, with a return at an obtuse angle at E end – possibly forming part of a small uncovered chamber. Fragments of coarse 15th – 16th century pottery. About 3.7m SE was a circular well, 5.4m deep, 0.7m internal diameter. This contained pottery, worked stone and animal bones. The function of the building and well are uncertain. The site is about 400 yards (394m) N of the village of Broom and 400 yds S of Moor Hall. It is described as being on an ancient river bank.
2 The exact location of the building is uncertain, but it must be approximately in the area of the above grid reference. The account of its location given in reference 1 is difficult to relate to the topography of the area.