Site of Medieval Church at Stretton Baskerville
The site of a Medieval church which has been partially excavated. The site of the church is also known from documentary evidence and the remains are visible as an earthwork. The site is located at Stretton Baskerville, 1km south west of Sketchley.
1 The ground rises from the fishponds to a plateau. On its edge, overlooking the stream, stood a church. In 1633 the Bishop of Lichfield asked whether the church should be rebuilt or the parish united with its neighbours. At about the same time the church was used as a cattle shelter. The last incumbent was in 1609. When the church finally fell down the stones were carried away. Some of these now lie by the fishpond and others can be seen at Stretton House. The main excavation in 1947-8 was centred on a slight rectangular crown to the hill, possibly the site of the church. An area large enough to uncover the whole church was opened up. ‘Plentiful evidence of more than one stone building’ was produced although a definite ground plan was not established. In the interior of the buildings red square and rectangular floor tiles and some patterned tiles were found. Ridge tiles and slates were also found. Some window glass, a book-clasp and green and brown glazed pottery was found. This was probably the site of the church.
2 The excavation also produced fragments of building stone, including a large semicircular block, possibly part of an internal arcade. The church is recorded in 1210-14.
3 Scheduled as Warwickshire Monument No 113.
4 The outline of a large rectangular building was clearly traceable on the brow of the hill. This building was orientated E-W and the church site symbol falls upon its W wall on the OS 1:2500 of 1924.
7 Scheduling information.