Site of Dovecote at Stoneleigh Abbey
The site of a Post Medieval dovecote, a building used for the breeding and housing of doves or pigeons. The dovecote is known from documentary evidence. It was situated 100m west of Stoneleigh Abbey.
1 A Dove House Close is shown on Thos. Wilkes’ 1749 map. Also, an illustration on the same map shows a square building in this general area with a lantern and cupola which could be the dovecote, in the corner of the field by the sluice gates.
2 The dovecote no longer exists.