Site of Clay Hall to NE of East Lodge
The site of a manor house dating to the Medieval period and known from documentary evidence. It was situated 300m south west of Little Spring Coppice.
1 The home of the family of Fullwood or Fulwode. The manor was originally called Fulwode and is recorded in the reign of Henry II (1154-89). A house was built on the estate. Details of a manorial history exist. In 1396 the name Clay Hall first occurs. The name occurs as late as 1598. There is now no trace of the manor house, which stood in the field at Kemp’s Green, now known as Andrew’s Hill. In 1743 this field was known as Fullwoode’s Field. The house had presumbably been demolished by that time. The foundations may occasionally be seen in dry summers. It was probably a substantial structure and had a private chapel for which a licence was granted in 1396.
2 Further research suggests that the house was actually in Clay Hall Meadow in the parish of Tanworth. It is marked here on maps of 1695 and 1720 and recorded in the 1767 Tanworth perambulation.
4 No visible evidence in this field.