Site of a Possible Medieval Manor House or Castle at Regent Place
The possible site of a Medieval manor house or castle. Documentary evidence suggests that earthworks of a moat were visible behind Church Street, Rugby in the 18th and 19th centuries. The site has now been built over.
1 There was a little castle at Rugby which stood about a furlong (200m) to the N of the church. The banks of earth and part of the moat still remain. Dugdale believed that it was built at the time of King Stephen. The inhabitants call it by tradition Sir Henry Rokebye’s Castle.
2 Norman spur found 60 years ago on the site of the moated area in the field behind in Church Street. The moat represents the early Medieval manor house of Rugby.
3 Chatwin suggests that this was an Adulterine Castle.
4 The remains of earthworks and a moat. Leland c1545 records the earthworks and the name ‘Hawle Place’. It is likely to have been a moated manor house from the remains shown on the 6″ OS map of 1885. The site is now built over.
5 Noted by Ordnance Survey.
6 Location altered to more accurately reflect the position as indicated on the 1st edition OS mapping.