Shuttington Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the Ordnance Survey maps of the 1880s.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the OS maps of the 1880s; 3SW 1885, 3NW 1885, 2NE 1883 and 2SE 1888.
2 Domesday has 2 entries for Shuttington in Coleshill Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of SK2505.
Ref 16,22 in Shuttington 2 1/2 hides. Leofwin holds from him. Ceolred and Godric held it; they were free men. Land for 3 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves; 7 villagers and 4 smallholders with 2 ploughs. 1/2 mill which pays 5s; meadow 8 acres; woodland 1/2 league long and 3 furlongs wide. Value 20s.
Ref 16,23 in the same village 2 1/2 hides. Godrich holds from him; he also held it before 1066; he was free. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves; 3 villagers and 3 smallholders with 1 plough. 1/2 mill which pays 5s; meadow 8 acres; woodland 1/2 league long and 3 furlongs wide. Value 20s.
3 The first edition maps show the village built around a central square-ish shape, a lot of which is empty land crossed by footpaths. There are orchards on the eastern side which may indicate shrinkage. The church [WA171] dates from the medieval period. The aerial photos on the mapdata shows ridge and furrow survival abutting the settlement on the eastern side.