Sherborne Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement in Sherbourne. The area of settlement is suggested by observations made on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ Ordnance Survey map of 1886, 39NW.
2 Domesday lists it in Ferncombe Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid reference of 26,61.
Ref 16,13 (Land of the Count of Meulan) Sherborne. Edric and eofgeat held it; they were free. 2 1/2 hides. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1 1/2 ploughs; 4 slaves. 9 villagers with a priest and 2 smallholders have 2 ploughs. Meadow, 16 acres. Value before 1066, 60s; later 40s; now 50s.
3 Greenwood’s map seems to show buildings stretching up to the main Stratford Road.
4 The 1886 map shows some settlement to the north of the church leading up to Fulbrook Lane, and then further to the north a mixture of small fields, trees, ?post medieval buildings and gardens, some of which may overlie earlier settlement, given Greenwood. The part near the church is bounded on the west by the brook, and on the east by a thick hedge and a footpath. Domesday indicates a small settlement. The church [WA5125] dates from the Medieval period. Plotting of ridge and furrow cultivation in the parish has not been done, but the database shows a small area to the west of the fishponds [WA978].