All Saints Church, Sherbourne
The Parish Church of All Saints, Sherbourne, on the site of an earlier Medieval church. It was built during the Imperial period, with later alterations in 1882. The church is located 30m south west of the Shelbourne Churchyard Cross.
1 Chancel, N and S chapels, nave of five bays, with N and S aisles, and NW tower with spire. Erected in 1864 by Miss Ryland at a cost of £20,000 from designs by Sir Gilbert Scott. Lavishly adorned with carving and shafts of red and green marble. A brass of 1624 and a series of monuments to the Webb family (beginning 1728) survive from the earlier church. There was a priest in Sherbourne in 1086.
2 A generous and expensive estate church, given by Miss Louisa Ann Ryland and built by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1862-4 for £20,000. The organ chamber is an addition of c1882 by his son John Oldrid Scott. Church has a very prominent NW steeple with a thin and high spire.
3 Listed Building description.
4 Drawing of the exterior, c. 1820.
5 Notes on the history of the present church, with reference to three other churches previously on the site.