Morton Bagot Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement at Morton Bagot as identified from the 1886 Ordnance Survey map.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition OS 6″ maps of 1886, 31 SW and SE.
2 Listed in Domesday in Ferncombe Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of 11,64.
Ref 22,19 (Land of Henry of Ferrers) Hugh holds 2 hides in Morton (Bagot). Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves; 5 villagers and 5 smallholders with 2 ploughs. Meadow, 3 furlongs long and 6 perches wide; woodland 1/2 league long and 1 furlong wide. The value was 30s; now 50s. Grimwulf held it freely.
3 The 1886 maps show a tiny hamlet of church, farm, moat and one other building. It was small in 1086. Few clues in the way of empty plots, small fields or boundary hedge. There is a known shrunken area round the church [WA1322], a medieval dam [WA1321], and a medieval/post medieval linear boundary marker [WA5189]. The church itself dates from the end of the C13th, and the ring motte [WA582] is scheduled.