Middleton Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Middleton based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Middleton based on the OS map of 1887, 5 SW.
2 Domesday lists Middleton in Coleshill Hundred. There are 2 entries. The Phillimore ed. Has a grid ref of 1798.
Ref 18,4 (Land of Hugh of Grandmesnil) In Middleton 4 hides. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1 1/2 ploughs and 3 slaves. 12 villagers with a priest and 5 smallholders have 21/2 ploughs. A mill at 20s; meadow 6 acres. Value now £6.
Ref 45,1 Adelaide, Hugh’s wife, holds 4 hides in Middleton from the King. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1 1/2 ploughs; 3 slaves; 12 villagers and 5 smallholders with 3 1/2 ploughs. Value now £6.
4 The 1887 map shows a village grouped around the intersection of roads, with few buildings and lots of empty plots. Domesday indicates a populous and valuable village, so there must have been considerable shrinkage. The parish has not been covered by ridge and furrow plotting, but an aerial photo shows only a small area of survival to the south, although the shape of other fields adjacent to it suggests medieval cultivation. The church [WA116] had a medieval foundation, and there is a medieval cross base in the churchyard [WA115].
5 The excavation of a single trial trench within the western corner of the cemetery of St John the Baptist Church (SP17619833), in an area which may have overlain the remains of a medieval manor house, revealed no evidence of this possible manor. Three undated field boundary ditches were identified, which probably defined the extent of the medieval field system.
6 Archaeological evaluation off Church Lane recorded a series of settlement features suggestive of 12th-13th century occupation, with abandonment during the 14th century. It is suggested that this site may lie away from the original settlement focus. See MWA13436 for full details.