Chapel at Middleton Hall
An oratory, a private chapel in a house. It is Medieval in date and is located in Middleton Hall.
1 A priest is recorded at Middleton in 1086. A chamber with a Norman window is sometimes identified as a chapel, but was probably actually a hall (PRN 117). A timber-framed chapel seems to have been added to the N of the hall by Sir Baldwin Freville, who was licenced in about 1390 to have an oratory in his manor house. It was 8.2 by 4.75 m. The chapel has been altered by later rebuilding, but a fragment of the roof survives with trefoiled and quatrefoiled framing; it included a small bell-turret at its E end, the upper part of which remains under the present roof.
3 1967: The chapel was not positively identified but is probably the building now occupied by the Hall caretaker.
5 Pevsner entry.
7 Excavation report.