Medieval Shrunken Settlement Remains, Harborough Magna
The site of the remains of the Medieval shrunken village at Harborough Magna. The remains are visible on aerial photographs. The site is located to the west of Pailton Road.
1 2 Settlement remains identified from aerial photographs.
3 An archaeological watching brief on land at the rear of Church Farm (just adjacent to the earthworks) recorded no archaeological features or finds.
4 There are 2 entries for Harborough in Domesday under Brinklow Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid reference of 4779.
Ref 44,1 Richard the Forester holds Harborough from the King. 4 1/2 hides. Land for as many ploughs. 4 villagers and 4 smallholders with 1 plough. Meadow, 20 acres. The value was 10s; now 20s. 4 thanes held it freely.
Ref 44,16 Ansegis holds 4 hides in Harborough from the King. Land for 4 ploughs. Now in lordship 1 plough. 8 villagers with a priest and 7 smallholders have 2 ploughs. A mill at 16d. The value was 10s; now 20s. Browning held it freely before 1066.