Medieval Settlement at Bourton on Dunsmore
The probable extent of medieval settlement at Bourton on Dunsmore based on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1886, and on aerial photographs.
1 The probable extent of medieval settlement based on the first edition OS 6″ map of 1886.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Listed in Domesday; it was in Marton Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 4370.
Ref 16,30 in Bourton 5 hides. Ingenwulf holds from him. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 3; 7 slaves; 13 villagers and 11 smallholders with 3 1/2 ploughs; 1 man-at-arms has 1 1/2 ploughs. Meadow 50 acres. The value was 60s; now 70s. Leofwin held it freely before 1066.
4 The 1886 map shows a small village without any clear boundary hedge. There is known shrunken settlement [WA3327] to the east of Bourton Hall, and it is possible that the Hall Grounds may overlie earlier occupation. The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish shows just one area of survival on the southwestern side which almost abuts the village , and two further small areas to the east of the shrunken settlement. Domesday indicates quite a populous village.