Long Itchington Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, other than the known deserted area MWA1643, based on the first edition 6" Ordnance Survey map.
1 The possible extent of the medieval settlement based on the first edition map of 1886, 34SE.
2 Domesday lists Ling Itchington in Marton Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of 41,65.
Ref 42,3 Christina holds (Long) Itchington herself. 24 hides. Land for 21 ploughs. In lordship 5 ploughs; 10 ploughs. 83 villagers with 2 priests and 4 smallholders have 17 ploughs. 2 mills at 6s 8d; meadow, 16 acres; pasture 2 furlongs long and 1 furlong wide. The value was £12; now £20. When the King gave it to Christina it paid £36.
3 The 1886 map shows a large village. Most of the settlement lies east of the church. The intersection of roads at the eastern end contains a large triangular (ish) area where the pond now is, which looks like a possible market market place. A footpath on the northern side seems to follow the edge of the village. The southern boundary is a mixture of the River Itchen, lanes and hedges. At the western side, there are few buildings and lots of trees.and broken lines of trees which suggests shrinkage. The known deserted area WA1643 lies immediately to the west. Since Domesday indicates a very large and valuable settlement, perhaps the western end contained plots where the scattered trees can be seen. The church [MWA1639] dates from the C13th. Ridge and furrow survival has not yet been plotted from aerial photographs.