Lapworth Park - 'New Park'
The site of a Medieval deer park, where deer were kept for hunting. It is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886. The site is located 500m south west of Copt Green.
1 Richard Catesby obtained from Richard III (1483-5) a grant of100 oaks and 500 trees for rails for enclosing his new park at Lapworth. The author considered this new park to comprise an area W of Bushwood Hall, on which is a farm called Park Farm, and another called Park Lodge.
2 Lapworth Park is marked on maps of Saxton and Speed, though it seems to have been disparked long before Dugdale’s time.
3 There were evidently two parks in Lapworth by the end of the 13th century, when ‘the greater park’ is recorded. In 1420 ‘the Little Park’ is mentioned. Keepers of the park are listed in 1486 and 1492. As late as 1602 Lapworth Park is recorded. It is not certain which of these records relate to this park.
4 Modern hedgerows extending from SP1628 to SP1768 form a continuous enclosing feature centred SP1669, which may represent the perimeter of the park. No traces of a pale were identified.
5 Recommended for inclusion on Local List.
6 – 7 The OS 1:10560 1886 Shts Warks 31NE/32NW show some relevant field boundaries which have now disappeared, especially around the N perimeter.