Hartshill Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Hartshill based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1888.
1 The probable extent of medieval settlement based on the OS first edition of 1888, 10NE.
2 Listed in Domesday under Coleshill Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid ref of 3293 (this record is 3294).
Ref 15,3 (Land of Countess Godiva) in Hartshill and Ansley 2 hides. Land for 7 ploughs. 13 villagers with 5 ploughs. Meadow, 6 acres. Value now 100s.
3 The 1888 map shows the village strung out along the main N/S road, with one centre to the north around enclosed triangular (market?) areas and another to the south near the church. No sign of any boundary hedge, except to the northwest [WA8245]. Holy Trinity Church is modern (VCH vol 4 page 132), but there was a chapel at the castle [WA242]. Domesday indicates a valuable village.