Former line of London-Holyhead road
The former line of a road that was constructed during the Post Medieval period. It was part of the main London to Holyhead route.
1 Packington Park was until the second half of the C18 bisected by an important thoroughfare which formed part of the main London to Holyhead route. It ran from Meriden across Meriden Heath, passed close to the east of the present Hall, and crossed the River Blythe at Packington Bridge. The diversion of the road was proposed by Capability Brown in his 1751 plan for the transformation of Packington Park. It had been carried through by 1782, much improving the situation of the house. Traffic was diverted via a turnpike to Stonebridge and then along the present A452 to Coleshill.
2 Reproduction of 1760 map showing routes.
3 Line shown on SMR map is approximate only.