Finwood House, Lowsonford, Rowington
A timber framed house which dates from the Medieval and Post Medieval periods. It is situated 600m north east of the Fleur de Lys Public House, Lowsonford.
1 An ‘L’ shaped house of timber frame and brick. The cross wing has curved braces and is probably early Tudor. In a ground floor room there is a moulded beam with mason’s joints for two former cross beams. The rest of the house is slightly later in date. The front of the house is entirely bricked but at the rear much timber is exposed. The hall contains a large moulded stone fireplace, and there is a smaller one in the room above. It is marked as building No. 25 on the 1550 – 1650 map in this book.
2 The upper storey of the NE wing has a middle truss with a cambered tie-beam on curved braces, and queen-posts, and the roof has curved wind-braces to the purlins. The SE wing has been more altered, and probably extended, in the 17th century, but retains a great chimney-stack with a large moulded stone Tudor fire-place to the lower storey and a smaller one to the upper. Above the roof are two diagonal square shafts of thin bricks. The middle lower room has an open-timbered ceiling with a heavy beam and small joists.