Site of Manor House at Great Alne
The site of a manor house that was built during the Post Medieval period. It is known from documentary evidence. The manor house was situated in Great Alne.
1 Alne Lodge was built by Sir George Throckmorton (1518-52) on a piece of common ground called Ash Barrow. It was probably the messuage conveyed by George Smith and George Green to John Smith in 1614, and the property was in the tenure, in the late 17th century, of the Frogmores and subsequently, down to 1807-8, of the Morgans. It is marked on several 17th century and 18th century maps, but was pulled down at some time between 1781 and 1830. No trace now remains of it. Its most probable site is the level field on the N side of Lodge Hill onto which five bridle-paths and trackways converge.