Dodda's Ford (possible site)
The second of two possible sites for the Early Medieval Dodda's Ford, a shallow part of the river where animals, people and vehicles would have crossed. It is referred to in a 10th century charter. The site lies 500 m north of Alveston.
1 Alveston ford was the ‘Doddanford’ of the charters and was a continuation of the trackway on the E side of Alveston Pasture called ‘Hryaveg’ (Ridgeway) in the bounds of an Alveston Charter. This Hryaveg was in use in Roman Times. After crossing the site of the ford, the track is now marked by a hollow way leading to a crossroads just under the hill on which the Saxon, ?Royal or Episcopal Palace site lies (WA 960). The ford is assumed to have preceded Alveston Bridge although VCH. states that the position of the latter cannot be identified. The date at which the bridge was built is unknown, but it was mentioned in C15 documents. It was last mentioned in 1658, so must have gone out of use between 1658 and 1736 when a map of that date by J.Fish marks a bridge crossing a backwater, and not the main stream.
4 The hollow way is now marked by a track leading down to the river, but there is no other remaining evidence of the bridge or ford site.
5 The site at approx SP233571 is probably the less likely of two possible sites for Dodda’s Ford, the other being some way to the south, where a route ran towards Hampton Lucy [see MWA8636].