Disused Canal to W of Cathiron Bridge, Cathiron
The site of a disused canal and canal wharf, where vessels would have loaded and unloaded goods during the Imperial period. It was located on the west side of Cathiron Bridge, and was marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1885.
1 There is a branch of the canal leading in a SW, then SE direction towards a former lime works. The canal (a branch of the Oxford Canal) was possibly built in 1793 when the rest of the canal was built, it terminated in a wharf probably used to load lime from the works.
2 The canal was abandoned before 1885 when the OS marked it “the Old Canal” on the OS 6″ map.
3 It is still flooded, but there is no longer any sign of the wharf, and the small north-east extension has dried up. This is the Fennis Field Limeworks branch of the Oxford Canal, formed when the canal was straightened in 1834. It was originally built as the winding main canal cut between 1771-74.