Deserted Medieval Settlement at Chapel Green Napton on the Hill
The site of a Medieval deserted settlement at Chapel Green. The remains of the settlement are visible as earthworks. The site lies between Chapel Green and Napton on the Hill.
1 Earthworks of a Medieval deserted settlement. A depopulation is noted in Thomas Wolsey’s Inquisition into Enclosures of 1517, and repeated in the 1518 Enquiry. Thomas Shuckburgh it is alleged did ruin one capital messuage and 70 acres of arable. This occasioned the expulsion of twelve persons. This depopulation was probably at Chapel Green.
4 Observation of topsoil stripping on a building plot within the Medieval settlement in July 1994 revealed an undated spead of building rubble. Four 13th-14th centry pottery sherds were recovered from the topsoil.
5 Letters from 1973 that relate to the excavation.
6 Material relating to the 1973-7 excavation.