Deppers Bridge, Harbury
Deppers Bridge, the site of a Medieval bridge. There is documentary evidence for it in the 14th century, and stone blocks are still visible upstream of the present bridge. It crossed the River Itchen 300m south east of Deppers Hill.
1 A bridge in this position is recorded in 1397. In Dugdale’s time the bridge was called Defford’s Bridge.
2 This bridge was formerly ‘Defford’ (or ‘deep ford’) bridge.
3 The old bridge was replaced by a modern one in 1937, but some stones from the old bridge can be seen upstream from the present bridge and also in the side of the stream.