Clifford Chambers Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement of Clifford Chambers. The extent of the settlement is suggested by the remains of ridge and furrow cultivation and evidence on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map, 44SW 1887.
2 The plotting of the ridge and furrow shows a lot of survival to the southwest of the village.
3 Clifford Chambers is listed in Domesday under Gloucestershire. The grid ref given in the Phillimore edition is 1952.
Ref EG 2;- (Land of the King) In Clifford [Chambers] 7 hides belong to this manor. 3 ploughs; in lordship. 14 villagers
with 5 ploughs. A mill at 12s; meadow, 2 acres. 13 slaves, male and female; a church and a priest with 1 plough. The
value was £8; now £6.
4 The 1887 map shows occupied plots along most of the main village street, with a few empty or orcharded plots. The village looks planned, with a neat boundary line on the southern side. Ridge and furrow survives in one field on the southwestern side which reaches to the edge of the settlement. There are numerous SMR records for local medieval activity.