Church of St Peter, Wolfhampcote
The Church of St Peter which was built during the Medieval period. It is situated 100m south east of Wolfhampcote Hall.
1 Chancel, nave, N chapel, N and S aisles, tower and S porch. The present church was built in the 14th century, the tower in the W end of the N aisle in the 15th century, at which time the clearstorey was added, the nave roof replaced and the W end of the nave rebuilt. Some interesting 14th century woodwork. Walls of coursed sandstone rubble with worked dressings, the tower in ashlar. A priest, implying a church, is mentioned in the Domesday description of Wolfhampcote.
2 Drawing of c1820.
3 Abandoned and derelict. 13th century NW tower, late 13th century N aisle. Mausoleum of the Tibbets family in 18th century Gothick.
5 The church is no longer used and has been replaced by the parish church of St Mark in Flecknoe (MWA3041). It is preserved by the ‘Friends of Friendless Churches’.
7 The church is now in the care of The Redundant Churches Fund.
8 The complexity of the church plan suggests an earlier, smaller church, consisting of a nave and chancel, was enlarged and remodelled in the 14th century by the addition of aisles and the north chapel. A test trench excavated by Warwick Museum adjacent to a subsiding buttress on the N wall of the church revealed no evidence for any earlier structure in this area and no new exact dating evidence for the N aisle and chapel or the buttress was obtained.
9 Two digital photographs taken in June 2007.
10 Correspondence from 1959.