Church of St John the Baptist, Lea Marston
The parish church of St John the Baptist, which has its origins in the Medieval period. It is situated 600m south of Lea Marston.
1 Chancel, nave, S porch and NW tower. The S wall of the nave is late 13th century, the porch is 15th century. The remainder was completely rebuilt in 1876. Monuments.
2 Earliest mention is in 1252. Originally a chapel attached to the church at Coleshill.
3 Photographed in 1977.
4 Nave extended to W 15th century. Chancel rebuilt 1876-7, & nave renovated. Heating ducts – E end of chancel & W end of nave. Internal graves – slabs in E part of chancel, sanctuary & E end of nave. Vault under centre of nave. Associated with deserted settlement? Below-floor deposits probably extensively disturbed by graves. Possibly remains of deserted settlement around churchyard, but no obvious surface traces.