Church of St James, Snitterfield
The Church of St James, which was originally built in the Medieval period. It is located 175m south west of Pigeon Green, Snitterfield.
1 Description: Chancel, nave, N and S aisles and W tower, vestries N of chancel and S of tower. S arcade probably late 13th century and N arcade early 14th century, when the S aisle appears to have been widened to match the other. Chancel may have followed soon after. W tower erected in several successive stages between early 14th century and c1400. Early 16th century clearstorey. Modern vestries. In 1086 there was a priest, implying a church, at Snitterfield.
3 W tower of early 14th century or 15th century. Early 14th century nave and aisles. Chancel is structurally of c1300 with a Georgian roof, but looks mostly of after 1858.
2 Photographs of the interior: a) a bench-end and b) the font.
6 OS Card SP26SW 9.
7 Archaeological Evaluation in 1999 of the churchyard south of the church is recorded in this report. A number of late 19th century inhumations were recorded and a small quantity of residual medieval pottery. No earlier structural evidence was discovered.
8 Plan of the church.