Snitterfield Hall Gasworks
The site of Snitterfield Hall Gas Works. Gas was made here for domestic use from the Imperial period onwards. It is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886 and is situated 100m south of the cricket ground, Snitterfield.
1 OS 1st edition map shows the location of a gasworks.
2 A small gas works on the edge of the village near the Wolverton Road. The gasworks were constructed at the expense of a local MP, for the benefit of the tenants on his large estate. The building was built with the intention that it should not look unsightly. The retorts were capable of producing 12,000 cubic feet of gas per day, with corresponding storage capacity.
3 Measured plan of gasworks of ?c.1879.
4 Elevation of gasworks of ?c. 1879.
5 Retort house now converted into a dwelling.