Church of St Cuthbert, Shustoke
The parish church of St. Cuthbert which has its origins in the Medieval period. It is situated 100m north east of The Griffin Public House at Church End.
1 Chancel, nave, S porch and W tower with spire. Of 14th century origin, much rebuilt. The tower is 14th century, the upper stages and spire 15th century. Severely restored by Bodley and Garner in 1887. Contains the 17th century tomb and Monument of Sir William Dugdale, the historian.
2 Restored in 1873 at a cost of 3,000 pounds. In 1886 lightning destroyed the roof and internal fittings and restoration in 1887 cost 6,000 pounds.
3 Drawing of the exterior c. 1820.
4 In the N vestry is a reset Norman window and a Norman capital and short length of dogtooth are reset in the porch.
6 The Norman fragments presumably indicate a Norman origin for the church.
7 Documentary – c1250. Earthworks to N – DMV. Platform to S – motte and bailey? Heating ducts – chancel floor. Uneven floor at W end of nave – subsidence. External drains – N and S sides. N side of churchyard – hollow way and platforms. S side – prominent platform – part of it lies inside churchyard. Pretty good survival of below-floor deposits.