Church of Holy Trinity/St Nicholas, Lower Ettington
The ruins of the Church of Holy Trinity/St Nicholas, Lower Ettington. Built in the Medieval period (13th Century), this church was superseded in 1798 by a better located church (in Upper Ettington). These ruins are situated in Ettington Park.
1 Consisted of chancel, nave with N aisle, N and S transepts and W tower. The chancel, nave and tower, and probably the transepts, are all part of the church of 1206; the N aisle, and perhaps the clearstorey, were added in the 14th century. The W tower stands to full height. Ruins of the nave survive, also the W wall of the N aisle and the W part of the chancel S wall. Nothing visible remains of the N transept, but the S transept survives, in modernised form. Monuments to the Shirley family and others from the 14th century onwards in the S transept. 16th – 17th century monuments to the Underhills in the tower. There was a priest at Ettington in 1086. Owing to its great distance from Upper Ettington, which had become the principal centre of population, the church was superseded in 1798 by one in that hamlet (PRN 1264). The S transept was restored in 1825 by E J Shirley. An inscription records that the Chantry of St Nicholas founded about 1206 fell down in 1875 and was rebuilt in that year; this refers probably to the N arcade.
2 Photograph of the ruins.
3 In ruins except for the S transept. This has one W lancet but the rest is restoration of 1825 and rebuilding of 1875 to convert it into the Shirley mortuary chapel.
4 Scheduling reference.
5 Noted by Ordnance Survey.
6 Letter from the DoE about dry rot treatment.