Broom Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement at Broom. The extent of the settlement is suggested by the Ordnance Survey map of 1886, and by ridge and furrow earthworks visible on aerial photographs.
1 The possible extent of Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map, 43 SW 1886.
2 A small patch of ridge and furrow survives, south of Moor Hall.
3 In the Domesday survey, in Ferncombe Hundred, [grid ref 0853].
Ref 4,6: [Land of the Bishop of Bayeux] In Broom 4 1/2 hides. Stephen holds from him. 5 freemen held it before
1066. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2; 4 villagers and 10 smallholders with 2 ploughs. Meadow, 14 acres. Value
before 1066, 40s; later 30s; now 60s.
4 The grid reference given in the Phillimore text is 0853, but the present village is 0953. There is evidence of medieval occupation to the north of Broom [1511, 1519 and 6293]. It is hard to date Kings Broom, which leads down to the river but not to a crossing place. The VCH describes Broom as formerly consisting of the hamlets known as ‘Kings Broom’ and ‘Burnell’s Broom’.
5 King’s Broom is marked on the 1st Ed OS map but is very narrow. It is not clear if it was origianlly simply part of the main hamlet of Broom, just to the north and this is unlikely to ever be known as the area between the two was totally quarried for gravel before 1945 (from AP).