Binton Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement of Binton is suggested by documentary and other evidence.
1 The possible extent of the medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ maps, 43NE 1886 and 43SE 1887.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting for the parish shows extensive survival. It surrounds the village except to the south, and abuts the main road from the south on the eastern side.
3 There are 4 entries for Binton in Domesday. It is in Ferncombe Hundred, grid ref 1454.
28,14 (Land of William son of Corbucion) William holds 2 hides in Binton. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1 with 1
slave; 5 smallholders. Meadow, 3 acres; from part of a mill 4 peckloads of corn and 8 sticks of eels; from Droitwich
3 packloads of salt. Value now 30s.
34,1 (Land of Gerin) Gerin holds 5 hides in Binton from the King. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2, with 1 slave; 5
villagers and 5 smallholders with 1 plough. A mill at 4s; meadow, 15 acres. Value now 60s.
35,2 (Land of Urso of Abetot) Urso also holds 2 hides in Binton. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1; 3 villagers and 1
smallholder with 1 plough. A mill at 2s. Value now 40s.
37,5 (Land of Osbern son of Richard) Hugh also holds 3 1/2 hides in Hillborough and Binton. Land for 4 ploughs.
In lordship 1; 4 slaves; 7 villagers and 2 smallholders with 2 ploughs. A mill at 12d; meadow, 20 acres. Value 40s.
4 On the first edition map, the hedge to the south of the Independent Chapel looks like a boundary hedge. Several orchards/gardens may be deserted plots. The church was first mentioned in the C12th, and a Medieval churchyard cross survives. Domesday indicates complex ownership.
5 A medieval timber framed cruck building at Kinetoncote, Binton was dated to 1475 by dendrochronology