Ascote Deserted Medieval Settlement
The site of the deserted settlement of Ascote which dated to the Medieval period. The earthworks of house platforms and hollow ways are visible and documentary evidence exists about its desertion. It is located 200m south of Ascote Hill.
1 There was arable land here in the 13th century and Rous records its depopulation. The chapel is closely connected with Hodnell, and probably located halfway between the two villages (PRN 817). In the 17th century the absence of a parish organisation brought Ascote into the Poor Law dispute at Quarter Session. The site stands at the N most point in the bend of the stream, some distance from the modern farm of the same name.
2 Medium preservation (B). Period of desertion known, but documentary evidence inferior in quantity (1).
3 The indicated site has been cultivated for many years and no remains of desertion are visible.
4 The land has now been put down to pasture and three main hollow ways and some house platforms can clearly be distinguished on a S facing hillslope overlooking the stream. The hollow way runs down the hillside from the Radbourn – Bishop’s Itchington footpath to the stream. The W hollow way is very pronounced. House platforms can be distinguished, but form no set pattern.
6 On an estate map is the inscription ‘In this place appears the Ruins of the foundation of some Ancient Town or other Large Buildings’. There are traces of house platforms, ploughed up now but producing plenty of Medieval pottery.
7 Estate map of 1768.
8 Plan of Chapel Ascote showing possible medieval features.