Armscote Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of Medieval settlement in Armscote as indicated on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886 and from aerial photographs showing ridge and furrow earthworks.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map, 50SE 1886.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting for the parish (of Treddington [PRN 6455) shows survival all around the village, north, south, east and west.
3 The village is not listed in the Domesday survey.
4 The 1886 map shows lanes that enclose areas, orchards and a boundary hedge to the north and west. The ridge and furrow (see 2) abuts this boundary, except on the eastern side beyond the road, where a strip of land might have held houses. There is no church, and the Manor House (PRN 2722) is Post Medieval. However the arrangement of the lanes and buildings of the village on the 1886 map, suggests organic unplanned growth