Alscot Park House
Alscot Park House, a mid 18th century rococo-gothic villa set in Alscot Park.
1 The original house probably dated from the early 17th century, and was altered in the 1720’s by Richard Marriett. James West bought the manor of Alscot in 1747 and the rebuilding of the house was carried out in two stages, the first lasting from 1750-2, the second from 1762-4. The porch, by Thomas Hopper, was added c1815-20.
2 1750-64. Incorporates remains of a late Medieval building to the rear. Porch added to south front pre-1820 by Thomas Hopper. Stables (1753) by James West, 150m to south-east.
3 Rococo-gothic house remodelled (1750-2) and extended (1762-4) for James West.
4 The 1750-2 remodelling was carried out for James West, who had bought the estate c1744. This turned the old house into a relatively small villa in the rococo-gothic style. After West had given up politics and inherited a fortune, he had a new wing added on the south side of the villa (complete by 1764).