Former Museum and Methodist Chapel in Leamington Spa

This building was formerly Bisset's museum, before becoming a Primitive Methodist Chapel in Leamington Spa. 2018.
Image courtesy of Anne Langley

This modest building was erected in 1819 by James Bisset to display his museum of curiosities (moved with him from his former museum in Birmingham).


Bisset died in 1832 and the Primitive Methodists (who had been meeting in a room in a Temperance Hall in Clemens St) bought the site and moved there in 1852. They removed the upper floor and converted it into a chapel that was used until 1921 when they moved to the grander Warwick Street chapel.

Since then it has had a varied commercial use as a Co-op, a tool hire company with nightclub above, and is currently a Polish supermarket (downstairs) and Shade’s Gentlemen’s Club upstairs.

More from Leamington Spa