Wolston Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the medieval settlement at Wolston based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887, and on aerial photographs.
1 The possible extent of the medieval settlement based on the OS 2nd edition map of 1887, 27NE.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Domesday has 2 entries for Wolston; in Marton Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid ref of SP 4175.
Ref 12,4 Reginald also holds 5 hides in Wolston from the Earl (Roger). Land for 12 ploughs. In lordship 4; 6 slaves. 18 villagers with a priest and 19 smallholders have 12 ploughs. A mill at 6s 4d; meadow 5 acres. The value was 60s; later 20s; now 100s. Almund held these two manors.
Ref 12,7 in Stoneleigh Hundred Reginald holds 1 virgate of land in Wolston from the Earl (Roger). Land for 1/2 plough. 1 villager. Value 5s. Almund held it.
4 The 1887 map shows quite dense roadside settlement, and not much in the way of gardens though there are strip fields behind the houses on the north eastern side. Aerial photos only show ridge and furrow survival to the south. The church [WA3145] dates to the medieval period, as do the Priory [WA3143], mill [WA3138] and two moats [WA3142 and WA 3400].
5 Two segments of ditch were recorded during an archaeological evaluation carried out to the rear of the Red Lion. They were at right angles and parallel to the main road through the village, suggesting that both may have functioned as plot boundaries. They were filled with a post-medieval domestic assemblage. See [MWA13419].