Wilmcote Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement at Wilmcote as suggested by the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 The possible extent of Medieval settlement, other than the possible deserted medieval village of Wilmcote Parva (WA 923], based on the first edition 6″ map of 1886, 38SW.
2 Domesday lists Wilmcote in Pathlow Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 16,58.
Ref 37,2 Also from Osbern (son of Richard) Urso holds 3 hides in Wilmcote. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2; 2 slaves; 2 villagers and 2 smallholders with 2 ploughs. Meadow, 24 acres. The value was 30s; now 60s. Leofwin Doda held it freely before 1066.
3 The first edition map shows a hamlet along the mainstreet. The plots are small, and some of the strip fields behind the houses contain trees, suggesting neglect or shrinkage. There is no ridge and furrow plotting for the parish of Aston Cantlow, but the RAF vertical photo of 1947 shows survival abutting the village on the southwest and southeast sides. The line of trees on the northern side looks like a boundary hedge. The large irregular area east of the village and west of the canal has not been included, as there is no indication on the map or the AP as to its use; on both it just shows a few trees.