The Manor of Stockingford, Galley Common
Historical research indicates this area is one of medieval settlement. Place-name and cartographic evidence points to this land being in the ownership of the Nunnery of Nuneaton, sometime before 1592. Additional research indicates the changing 17th century settlement at Galley Common.
1 Historical research indicates this area is one of medieval settlement. Place-name and cartographic evidence points to this land being in the ownership of the Nunnery of Nuneaton, sometime before 1592, see 3
It is suggested from this research that:
a. The location of Stockingford Mill (see MWA 12225), valued in 1280 according to the VCH, was also the site of a Deserted Medieval Village. The 1842 tithe plan 2 indicates a field called “Chapel Yard” immediately to the West of the Brook at Galley Common.
b. A place name of “Stocking” indicates that the fields to the east of Galley Common were the site of a clearing.
c. Grange Lane, now a footpath running alongside Chesterton Drive (see MWA 12425) and Mill Lane, now Park Lane, were ancient lanes associated with the settlement
d. A supposed medieval “Dam Meadowe” is recorded on the tithe plan 2 and on the 1592 map 3, on the south side of Valley Road, Galley Common.
e. A coloured map from 1592 3, shows land on three sides of Galley Common – the North, East and West, as “belonging to the Nunnery of Nuneaton”.
f. Field 71 in the tithe apportionment is called ‘Birch Field’.
g. ‘Wall fields’ north-west of the Barne Moor Wood
2 The tithe map ; see notes above in 1.
3 A coloured map, from the Birtish Library, indicates land on three sides of Galley Common – the North, East and West, as “belonging to the Nunnery of Nuneaton”. The map was part of documentation related to a legal dispute involving Margaret Knowles and Edmund Park regarding disputes over the Galley Common in the 16th century.
4 Copy and transcript of Lease of ‘Mansion House and Tente with eight and twenty acres of one half of Brychen field of Meddowes, Pastures and the Springe Wood at Stockingford 40th Year of the Reign of Elizabeth I’ (B.M. Add.Ch. 49100). This refers to a Mansion House and ‘tente’. ‘Tente’ could refer to an encampment. This may be linked to the ‘wall fields’. Many of the field names from the Tithe map are found in Elizabethan leases.
5 Portable Antiquities Scheme find provenance information:
Date found: 2002-01-01T00:00:00Z
Methods of discovery: Fieldwalking