Squatter Settlement at Morton Common
The site of a deserted settlement dating to the Imperial period. It is visible as an earthwork. The site is located 800m north of Morgrove Coppice.
1 Prior to its enclosure, following the Act of 1806, Morton Common was ringed with settlement, at least fifteen former house sites having disappeared. Some of these had already gone by 1820. The majority appear to have been small mean dwellings which have left little trace on the ground today. Usually the only sign of their existence is the narrow boundary ditch which surrounded each toft. On occasion brick and rubble represent house foundations.
23 A series of boundary division earthworks are visible to the west of Morton Common Farm on LiDAR imagery, with possible boundary banks to the north and east visible on 2013 aerial photography.