Site of Windmill on Windmill Hill, Burton Dassett.
There is documentary evidence for a windmill here from the Post Medieval period and possibly earlier. It was of the post mill type and was restored in the 1930s but blew down in the 1946. It was at Windmill Hill.
1 NW of the beacon stood until 1946 a wooden post windmill complete with sails, perhaps the successor of the ruined windmill called ‘le Stonmilne’ which Sir John, Lord Sudeley, held in 1367.
2 Mill built here 1664, possibly this one. Open trestle, four common sails, ladder, tailpole and doorway with hooded porch. Ceased work c1912. Restored by SPAB with public support 1933-34. Blown down in tornado 26 July 1946. Main post and crosstree lie in hollow below site 1976-77.
4 A photograph of the windmill after being blown down in 1946 was submitted to the HER by Frank Miles, an eyewitness to the incident.