Site of Marston Windmill
The site of a post mill, a type of windmill mounted on a post. It was in use during the Imperial period. It stood 1km south west of the church at Priors Marston.
1 Built by 1787. Ceased by late 19th century. Post mill. At SP4856.
2 Nothing of the mill remains (site visit). This reference gives the above grid reference.
3 Late 18th and early 19th century maps show a windmill named ‘Marston Mill’ on the s. side of and not quite mid-way along a track which links the N. end of the village with Priors Hardwick. This mill has disappeared entirely and nothing of its history can be traced. It is believed to have been superseded by the small stream mill in the village in c.1870. Marston Mill is marked on the 1834 O.S. Map, but does not appear on the 1884 6″ map.