Site of Brickworks at Brickyard Spinney
The site of brickworks dating to the Imperial period. The brickworks are marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886. No surface evidence remains. The site is 150m north of the reservoir at Cawston.
1 ‘Brickyard spinney’ marked.
2 No trace of the brickyard remains.
3 A brick kiln was in operation by 1842 just south of the existing Brickyard Cottages; it is shown on the Dunchurch Tithe Map of that date and on an estate map of c1850. In the spinney west of the cottages there are the remains of clay pits, presumably associated with the kiln, and the 1886 OS 1:10560 map shows a pond just north of the road which may have been a flooded clay pit. The Brickyard Cottages were built between c1850 and 1886, but the brick kiln seems to have been disused by the later date.