Shrunken village earthworks at Long Marston
The site of the Medieval shrunken village of Long Marston. Earthworks, which are visible on aerial photographs, suggest that Long Marston village was once larger.
2 Earthwork remains of shrunken settlement show on air photographs. These have been plotted on the ridge and furrow plot for Long Marston Parish (MWA6449).
3 Area extended slightly to the NW and to the SE, after looking at the first edition 6″ map.
4 Long Marston is in Domesday, listed under Gloucestershire. The Phillimore edition gives a grid ref of 15,48.
Ref EG7 St Mary’s Church Coventry holds (long) Marston. 10 hides. In lordship 3 ploughs; 15 villagers and 3 smallholders with 12 ploughs, 6 slaves. A meadow at 10s; The value was £8; now 100s.
5 Extensive earthworks are visible on LiDAR imagery to the west of the church, centred on SP 1509 4803.