RAF Long Marston
A Second World War RAF airfield. It was in use up to 1944 and intermittently thereafter until the late 1960s. It is situated 1km north east of Long Marston.
1 Built on 426 acres, the runways were mostly of tarmac laid over ash and yellowstone. The original buildings included two large hangers and one smaller. Large areas of steel square mesh track were laid beside the runways in 1944 to stop stray aircraft becoming bogged down if they left the runway. Was a satellite to RAF Honeybourne. Closed at the end of WW2 but was reopened during the Korean War. Closed to flying 1954 and was reopened to light aircraft in the late 1960s. The few hard areas, dispersal pads and the end of one runway were taken up in the 1970s.
2 Three vertical air photographs.
3 Planned as a satellite station for RAF Honeybourne, and was under construction from late 1940 through most of 1941. Three tarmac runways were constructed in the standard A configuration, with one measuring 1500 yards and the other two 1100 yards each. Twenty seven hardstandings were laid down and three hangars erected – two Type T2s and a single B1. Temporary living and technical huts were installed to accomadate the 1000 or so permanent staff. A large communal sites along with four dispersed sites and a separate WAAF domestic site were situated well away to the East of the airfield (see MWA19272). Detailed information.